Tuesday, October 14, 2014

A legit p-day at the museum


My zone at the Museum of Science
Use every opportunity as a teaching opportunity!
October 1, 2014

          Today was mostly a play day at the interactive museum.  It was really fun and the earthquake simulator was pretty legit (8.0 on the Richter scale)!  Afterwards, we shopped, emailed, and hit the streets.  For some reason, I could speak and understand everything today.  My companion says that it is because the area where we were was educated and they spoke grammatically correct Spanish, not flaite.  I had hoped that it was because I was starting to get it, but he is probably right.









October 3, 2014

         I forgot my journal on my splits the other day.  What I learned on splits was that I am super grateful for my companion.  I didn’t get along too well with the district leader because his teaching style is so crazy different.  Afterwards he chewed me out pretty good and it reminded me of what Garrison warned me about. It is gonna be tough for me to deal with that kind of criticism for the next 2 years, but I will live. 

         I did insanity workout this morning and I love it!  If I have any way to get insanity, I am going to get it for sure.  I want to do it for the rest of my mission. 

         The rest of my day absolutely sucked until the end.  Practically all of our appointments fell through and the only great part was the very end of the day when we went to visit a family that in the past has been a time waster.  But this time, they had completed their assignment and the girl really understood everything that we wonted her to learn.  That is super RARE here.  We had a phenomenal lesson with her and she is coming to General conference with us, and one of our other investigators.  H. cleaned up all of the inappropriate posters in his house.  He really wants to change.  We have had some miracles, but today was mostly junk and it was the first of what I am sure will be many times when going home is on my mind.



October 4, 2014

         Today was one of the worst general conferences that I have ever had.  The stake president told the brand new guys that we had to watch conference in Spanish…. I FRIED!  After the first session, we had lunch and started our fast; my mind was sufficiently recovered to endure another session.  We went to an appointment that naturally fell through, and so we contacted and I had enough energy to talk to people and start a contact.  Then it was Priesthood session and I lasted through about ½ of it and then, I WAS DONE.  I got practically nothing from any of the talks today and it simply frustrated me.  On top of that, my companion got a little indignant when I bought to his attention the lack of study we do.  Another elder told me that I needed to use all of the time that I am supposed to use, in order to get the most out of this training period.  I have to get over myself. I want to just let go of all my pride and be humble like Garrison.  But, I don’t know how to do it.  



October 5, 2014

         Today was both good and bad.  I had to watch the sessions in Spanish, which sucked a ton. On the bright side, we had 3 people come to the first session, and one of them decided to come back to the second session as well.  I hope that he genuinely wants to change, but I do know that he likes the feelings and having people around him who care.  I know that he can progress and I am super hopeful for him. 

         Today was a withdrawal day for me from climbing, not that I usually climb on Sundays.  There was just so much sitting down time, and I need something more physical to exhaust me. 

         We had some great contacts on the streets today with follow-up appointments (citas) for tomorrow.  A cita is really us just planning on going somewhere in particular on the off chance that a person will actually be there.



October 6, 2014

         We had a pretty good day today!  We finally got all of our studies in today.  When we went to lunch I didn’t understand hardly anything so that was annoying especially when they made fun of the fact that I couldn’t understand.  I just ignored them and ate the delicious food.  Not too much else happened today, but the best part was seeing the crack-heads high out of their minds and just going crazy smacking shovels into the concrete.  A drug deal happened today right in front of us, we saw several dogs that looked like they were decaying, and one dead dog in the trash.  I have to say that the most awkward thing I saw today was a woman who was clearly lactating like crazy.



October 7, 2014

         Today was practically 100% FAIL.  All of our citas fell through and we contacted all day long.  ALL DAY.  We helped a guy push his car, tried not to argue with evangelicals, saw a dog get hit by a car, and saw a cat get hit by a car.  At the very end of the day we were walking into our house when and old lady walked by. I was closing the gate to let her pass when I felt impressed to go and talk to her.  I followed the prompting and found out that she was really missing her son who was dead.  We gave her a plan of salvation pamphlet and we are planning on visiting with her this Sunday. I pray that she was one of today’s miracles.  The other miracle was finding a lady with a handicapped daughter who wants to learn more later this week.  Elder Soulier said that it doesn’t get harder than it did today, so for that I am grateful!  I think that the best part of today is that tomorrow is P-day!

         As I look back on this week, if I am completely honest, there was at least one time each day where I just wanted to go back home (except for p-day).  Some days I even wished I was home.  I think that time drags as much as it does because I am still struggling to understand even the most basic of conversation.  It kills me when the other missionaries are talking in Spanish, laughing, telling stories, and I can’t understand any of it.  People keep telling me how well I talk and teach, but I genuinely just feel completely useless.  The best time of the day for me is when I get up and read the scriptures for about an hour and a half.  I just feel at peace.  I really wish I had realized how awesome that time could be in my life when I was younger.  It probably doesn’t hurt that the scriptures are just about the only things that I can understand and that I can find entertainment in.  I love the mission, but it is tougher than I was mentally prepared for.  I will be just fine though.  I love you all so much!



Elder Colvin




No comments:

Post a Comment