Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Ups and downs


Climbing whatever
October 29, 2014

         I am so glad that I only had 2 nights of ingrown toenail incarceration.  I got to go and play soccer with the zone today (sorry mom – I promised her I wouldn’t take the chance of dislocating my knee again.)  That was fun other than the fact that I might as well be a midget running around with giants.  I seriously cannot run worth squat on my little fat-kid legs.  They just don’t move fast or far.  Elder Kimball (my temporary companion) LOVES running so we ran nearly 2 miles back to the house and that absolutely sucked, but I did it!  I also managed to not scream like a little girl while taking and ice cold shower…instead I screamed like a man.  Just kidding, I was having a hard time breathing let alone screaming!

Miracle #37: I didn’t get injured while playing soccer.

October 20, 2014

         Today was a good day for learning.  I was on divisions with Davis (who has his mission call but is waiting to leave.)  I was suppose to give a lesson in Spanish all by myself. I must admit to being distracted by the gunfire that erupted outside of the house where I was teaching.  While the little kids all ducked down under the furniture, I just calmly moved away from the window and just kept on teaching.

Miracle #38: I actually gave an entire lesson by myself and was understood!

          We also had a great service project cleaning out the hoarder house of the devil.  Yeah, I kid you not, the house number was 666 and that place just shouldn’t exist. 



October 31, 2014

         We had the coolest day every today.  After our studies, we went to start finding old investigators from lists and that’s when we found 3 strong contacts. 

Miracle #39:  We met a man named M. who said that he was busy but he let us in anyway and we taught a lesson.  He was actually quite interested and he said that he felt that he would like to be baptized.  He was baptized as a baby, but he
never felt that was the right thing to do.  He wants to be baptized when it is his choice.
         Later we taught the law of chastity lesson to H.  He understood us and even felt a little sorry for us teaching this difficult subject. W ran into our favorite little investigator M. on the streets.  His parents were in the house so we were able to go in and teach him the 10 commandments.  That was a great surprise lesson.  But, the best lesson was with I. who is the coolest guy.  He knows that out message is true, but he wants to learn more doctrine before he commits to baptism.

November 1, 2014

         It is a well known fact that I am going to struggle with getting along with companions 24/7. My parents and siblings all predicted that this would be my greatest trial and so far they are correct.  Anyway, my miracle today came in the form of overcoming my natural tendencies to become irritated by my companion. This is a big deal for me because it tells me that there is hope for change.

Miracle #40:  I started to share a brief scripture and wanted to follow-up with a tiny thought when my companion interrupted me and took over the lesson entirely.  Miraculously, I did not loose my very hot temper.

         This weekend is Stake Conference and I get to play a musical number.  It is my favorite one, the one that I played at my brother and sister’s farewell, the one that I closed with in my senior recital, and the one that I played in the CTM; the Josh Wright “How Great Thou Art medley.” 

November 2, 2014

         Not much to note today other than my musical number went well and I had a teaching miracle.  About 2 weeks ago we talked to a man with a mental disability at a bus stop.  We lost his correct address and I was bummed out until…

Miracle #41: While we were trying to locate another potential investigator, the first door that we knocked on was this disabled man’s door!  We were shocked!

         We had a lesson with him and during it he got a call from his mother.  He told her that he had some friends over and that they were teaching him about Jesus.  She wanted to talk to us and I was a little scared she would be upset with us.  Instead, she thanked us for helping her son and asked us to continue to teach him.  WOW! 

         On a side note, I am talking in Spanish all the time now and it is a great feeling to feel my fluency level rise.

Sorting through the fardo ties.
November 3, 2014

         Today was a boring morning of meetings because my companion is district leader.  I got pulled aside by my mission president and told that he did not like my choice for my musical number in stake conference because he thought is was too showy.  I must admit that it hurt my feelings. I have played that number lots of times before (including in front of mission presidencies and stake presidencies) and I have never been told that before. Oh well, life goes on, and I have learned that I will only play piano solos if someone provides me with mission president approved music.

          My miracle for the day didn’t happen until after a family home evening lesson where we were accompanied by M. and H. (two of our other investigators) to another family’s home.  I talked with the wife of the family for a long time and she told me something that blew my mind about when we first met them. When we first met them, we weren’t looking for them.  Someone told us to ask at their house and they let us in.  Turns out that they had been taught by many elders before, but there was no record of it in our area book.  Due to this lack of records, we knew nothing about them and thus we had sincere and genuine interest in getting to know them. 

Miracle #42: Our investigator noticed our sincere desire to know and understand her and her family and was touched.  They could feel our love for them and the Lord’s love for them and it softened their hearts to our message.  

November 4, 2014

         We had another meeting today for Elder S.  I learned that there are new missionaries coming in which moves me out of the greenie spot to a regular junior companion spot.  We had a good lesson with I. today, but otherwise is was pretty boring…not even a miracle unless you count:

Miracle #43: I am no longer the newest missionary in the field.


No comments:

Post a Comment