Thursday, August 20, 2015

Losing Elder Furner to the Office


I will miss this good missionary!
August 5, 2015

         Today wasn’t horrible.  I don’t know if there is such a thing as a bad p-day.  Shoot, even when we don’t do anything special, I really enjoy myself. Today we just went shopping, exercised, and went out to eat with an investigator.  We went to a Peruvian restaurant where we ordered this fried seafood dish that was essentially like a good plate from Red Lobster. I was expecting something way different or exotic, but I guess Peruvian food is really pretty normal.  After lunch, we went to a civer where the miracles happened.

Miracle #315L Her in Chile, they take very very inconvenient lunch breaks and close businesses for around 2 hours in the middle of the day.  All of the civers let us in anyways to write our families while they eat lunch.

         The funny/crazy part of the day was also kindof a miracle.  Okay, it was a miracle.  On our way to the civer, a guy stopped us and said that he wanted the missionaries to pass by last week, but they didn’t.  He really really wanted a Book of Mormon.  Typically on my p-day, I don’t have anything on me, but for some reason today I had one copy of The Book of Mormon.  I literally had nothing else except for that book.  He was so excited and he is super interested.  We were blown away.

August 6, 2015

         Today kindof sucked, like a lot. First of all it RAINED all day long which meant that every Chilean stayed indoors and didn’t want to do anything.  All of the streets were flooded because the drainage system here is horrible.  The worst part was that the bishop cancelled the ward activity because of the rain.  We invited a ton of our investigators and less active members to that activity, so we had to cancel everything and come up with a new plan.

Miracle #316: I was feeling down today, but when we made a visit to one of our families, I remembered how much I love these people. This realization helped to turn my day around.

         The funny part of the day was how everyone reacte to us.  EVERY single person said, “What are you doing outside in this rain?”

August 7, 2015

         Today was a rough day.  I had motivational issues today.  I got outside and did everything, but I was in an off mood.  It didn’t help that I was exhausted thanks to our District Leader who begged us to stay up and play a game with him for an extra half hour.  For someone who gets up at the normal time it would not be a big deal, but I get up early so that loss of 30 minutes really hurt me.  PLUS, staying up late is disobedient, what the heck is our leader doing by encouraging us to be disobedient?

         Miracle #317: When we went to visit the G. family tonight, they were getting ready to go to the ward talent show (the one that got cancelled and no one called them).  Thankfully, we arrived in time to tell them and we had a nice visit with them.

         The funny part of the day was that it stopped raining which was the reason the activity was cancelled.  We ended up contacting for a while at the end of the day and it turned out rather well.

August 8, 2015

         Ugh! Elder Furner is getting transferred early.  We got a special call to let us know that my comp is leaving for the office.  He is going to be one of those “special” elders.  Basically, he will be living in a really demanding work environment with tons of work, a horrible diet, no personal time, no sleep, and a ridiculous amount of stress.  I will miss the guy.  Other than that , the day was mediocre at best.  It is cold here in the mornings, then it warms up just a bit in the afternoon, and then it gets freezing cold again in the late afternoon.

Miracle #318: For once we made a call to a future investigator and actually had a lesson result from the call.

         The funny part of the day was going to say goodbye to Elder Furner’s recent convert A. It was funny because when we told her that Furner was leaving, she didn’t believe us. She said that we have played so many jokes on her that she doesn’t believe us anymore. She remained incredulous for over an hour.  We also made delicious no bake cookies for our last normal night together.  It is going to be hard for these next few weeks because I get a temporary companion for a week or so and then my official new companion.  This means that I will be the only one with any clue what’s going on in my area. 

August 9, 2015

         I am really hating one of the missionaries in our apartment right now. He is really hard on me, especially in the mornings.  He acts just like a teenaged girl and just tears you down emotionally.  Any ammunition that he can think of he throws at me and especially pitches hard at my insecurities.  He is the first person in a more than a month that has made me want to punch him in the face. It’s all “up to me” as to how I will react, but I can honestly say that I haven’t gotten much more patient since Castro.  But this does lead into my miracle for the day;

Miracle #319: Elder _____ does NOT have a broken nose right now.

         The fun part of the day was that Elder Furner and I had a good acapella musical number.  We also had fun visiting all of the people that Elder F. wanted to say goodbye to.  I try to make my goodbyes a final opportunity to bear testimony and leave a spiritual message, but not everyone tries to do that.  Elder F. just likes to hang out with people.  I am okay with that, just not for LONG periods of time.  I have gotta get more serious, motivated, and obedient.  This sector has a lot more potential.

August 10, 2015

         Wow, my temporary comp. is going to be quite fun…NOT. He thinks that he is hot stuff and corrects everything that I do in an offensive way…and has atrocious Spanish.

Miracle #320: We had a great lesson from contacting where we even invited them to be baptized.  The only bad part is that my new comp didn’t want to share the first vision with them…so we didn’t.

         The funny part of the day was how we got into this lesson in the first place.  I bumped into the grandson for scaring a cat and started talking to him and making friends with him.  When the Grandma said she was too busy with her grandson, I asked the kid if he wanted to hear our message.  He shouted, “Yes!”  and with that we got into out appointment.  Who knew that being good with little kids would come in handy in the mission field.

August 11, 2015

         Today was a good work day. We had a ton of lessons set up and only 2 fell through. Even though we taught 5 lessons we still had time to contact and sadly didn’t find anyone who was interested.  I think that I will do just fine with my temporary companion…not sure how I would do if it were permanent. He has good insights as a missionary and that is all that matters right here and now.

Miracle #321: Today we had a division with a youth in our ward but when we got to his house he wasn’t there.  Just about 1 minute later, his dad drove up and agreed to go out with us.

         The funny part of the day was listening to two American missionaries in our house talk about their high school days.  They were HORRIBLE.  They were mean and cruel and played jokes (mean ones) on the less fortunate people.  I told them that I was glad to never have set foot in a high school.  This was a mistake because then they turned on me and started mocking me for being homeschooled. It was just ridiculous. Somehow the subject turned to how I can’t throw a ball worth a crap, which they related to the fact that I never attended public school.  One of them said, “What if you are at the fair and your girlfriend wanted you to win her a stuffed animal by winning a throwing game?” I told them that I would never have to worry about that because I plan on having a good enough job to be able to buy my girlfriend what she wants.

No comments:

Post a Comment