Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Elder Bednar: Prayer, revelation, hard work.

When your name-tag wears out and you are a tan as the locals, your time is short.
February 24, 2016
    Today was an interesting p-day.  It started with a capacitation (training) from Elder Bednar. It was for most of South America Spanish speaking missions.  Supposedly it was only going to last until 11:00, but it went until 12:30 and cut a huge chunk out of p-day.  It’s all good, because we just did our buys and chilled in the house.  I got to finish Alma and work out which was nice.  Afterwards, I had the chance to apply what we learned in the capacitation.  There were 3 things that really stuck out to me: 1. Write down only spiritual impressions and what you are going to do about them when you are taking notes.  2. Don’t ever play “guess what I am thinking” when asking questions to your investigators, meaning don’t expect specific answers because it doesn’t bring the spirit.  3. Pray and then get to WORK to receive power.
Miracle #564: I did my first real handstand pushup today.  I have been working on it for 3 months.

    The funny part of the day was when Elder Bednar was explaining the differences between how men and women look at challenges and talents.  He said that men have a tendency to do 10 things, fail at 9 of them, and focus on the 1 thing that they do well and say “I’m the man.” Women on the other hand, do 9 things well, get a B+ on the 10th thing, and then they beat themselves up over it.  I am so glad that my mom taught me how to think like Bednar’s idea of a woman!
February 25, 2016
    Today was a way good day, but we did a CRAPPY job of managing our time.  Getting out of the house late for a start, then with each appointment we got out late pushing each appointment later and later.  My companion was in charge of the time so I was not able to push him or correct him.  It is irritating to me and puts me in a bad mood.
Miracle #565: We managed to get 2 members to accompany us today and 1 of them hit it off super well with our investigator’s S. We found Sandra a friend.
    The funny part of the day was in a family history training seminar.  One of the Elders in the zone (Elder Brown) got on the website and started looking at his family tree.  After many minutes of looking, we all were shocked to see that he is a descendent of Mary.  Yes, that Mary, the Blessed Mother of Jesus.  Then they traced his line all the way back to Adam.  All the missionaries were freaking out.

February 26, 2016
    Today wasn’t a good day.  This morning the zone leaders came over to have breakfast with us.  I assumed that they wanted to talk with us about our work and give us some suggestions and advice.  I assumed wrong.  The ZL’s let me down and we ended up basically just wasting over a hour talking about nothing.  GAH!  The leaders in this zone are incredibly lazy and it irritates me especially because they set the example for my trainee.  I think this is part of the reason why he thinks that I am an uptight missionary.  After our pointless morning, we had lunch and did companionship inventory.
Miracle #566: We got 2 extremely last minute divisions today and a few members just kind of volunteered themselves.
    The fun part of the day was turning on some Christmas music tonight . The interesting part of the day happened when we were making calls.  A dog fight of sorts broke out in the street.  It wasn’t much of a fight because a huge bulldog looking street dog attacked someone’s little toy dog and gave it a death shake.  I was shocked and just stared at first, then coming to myself, I dropped my bike and sprinted over to help the poor victim.  The big dog released the little dog when I got close, but quickly pounced again which gave me the opportunity to plant a decent kick in his ribs.  No one else did a thing and everyone was caught off guard by the missionary rescuing the little dog.
February 27, 2016
    Today turned out to be a good day.  We once again had a very busy morning, which prevented morning studies.  That meant that we had to study after lunch despite the exhaustion that typically sets in after eating a big meal.  We did our weekly planning and had a good brainstorming session where we figured out some plans of action to solve our relationship issues.  This afternoon, we worked quite a bit better than normal even though it wasn’t the most efficient or urgent.  Other than that, today was a rather uneventful day.
Miracle #567: Today we were able to find several people who are notoriously had to find and we were able to either set up appointments or remove them from our list. 
    The funny part of the day was in our missionary correlation meeting when our super dysfunctional ward leader was reprimanded by one of the sister missionaries.  She basically just told him that he should read Preach My Gospel. It wasn’t that funny, but it was the only thing that was interesting.  I think that the stress of “not working hard” during the last few weeks is really getting to me.  I have been ridiculously exhausted.  Next week I am going to get back to my early morning scheduled so that I can get more done before 11:30.
February 28, 2016
    Today was a day.  A typical Chilean Sunday when none of the people we teach came to church.  Sadly, after promises from more than 10 people, only 3 people showed up to church. We did actually have a ward council that was productive.  The work today was very inefficient. We passed by a few people and afterwards we had an eternal family home evening.  Although it was very fun, I felt pretty bad spending so much time messing around.  This week we decided that we’re going to focus on the Sabbath day observance with all of our families that we are teaching.
Miracle #568: While looking for a less active member, we found one of our investigators and were able to encourage him.
    The funny part of the day was playing a game where you had to figure out a certain pattern.  It was based on music and I figured out that in the beginning, but t took me forever to see it because it was based on the syllables of the musical scale here in Chile.  In English, we use cdefgab as our scale but here they use Do, Re, Mi, Fa, Sol, La, Si, Do.  I am not used to this system so it didn’t occur to me for a very long time.  To make it even harder, they use Si instead of Ti. 
February 29, 2016
    We had a decent day today.  This morning we did morning contacts and painting service projects.  Well, I painted anyways.  Once again we were so busy all morning that we had to put off our studies until after lunch.  When we finished our studying, we went to R., one of our investigators.  He is getting very interested in our lessons and in the importance of baptism.  The rest of our appointments failed which meant that we had time to do contacting.  That made me very happy.
Miracle #569: We need a man in order to be able to go visit the R. family.  Finally we found a man who could go with us an it was a miracle because usually he was super busy.
March 1, 2016
    Today was pretty stressful.  We were rushing around all day long going to far off lessons.  This morning we had our district meeting and immediately afterwards a lesson with a young man who we are starting to teach.  That lesson went rather well.  After eating lunch with the bishop, we had a sleepy study session and got out to work.  We were rushed all day long trying to get to all of our lessons because supposedly our day was packed.  The most frustrating thing that happened was biking out literally 9+ km to get to a cita just to find out that there were home, so we turned around and went back. In short distances my comp keeps up but he can’t do long distances. 
Miracle #570: We visited S. even though we didn’t have an appointment and she let us share with her and the member who was with us.
    The funny part of the day was probably teaching a teen-aged girl who we can’t really recognize if her interest is in us (missionaries) or in the message.  The good thing is that she at least understands our message.  The bummer part of the day was finding out that our great investigator, L. is going to be joining the military and will be leaving Santiago in a month.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment