Monday, January 12, 2015

The reformation of a slob, and other miracles


December 31, 2014

         Today was hours and hours of contacting people.  We had a ton of great contacts but only 1 miracle. To preface this miracle I need to tell you about what I am reading in my personal studies.  I am working on getting through the Old Testament and it’s killing me!  Today, I was reading from the Psalms 90, which I happen to love.  When we were contacting I saw a sign that said, “Let God bless this business.”  Out of curiosity, I looked inside and saw a Bible and out of further curiosity I looked and saw that the Bible was open to the same Psalm that I was studying.  Then I contacted the owner of the store:

Miracle #100: The owner of the store said that he has faith but is on a bad path.  I remembered a Psalm that I read about that situation, Psalm #37 “The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord; and he delighteth in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down, for the Lord upholdeth him with his hand. I have been young, and now I am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread.  He is ever merciful, and lendeth; and his seed is blessed.  Depart from evil, and do good; and dwell for evermore.”  Then the man gave us soda and cookies for free!

         Tonight a member of the church gave us some meat to cook for ourselves.  Unfortunately, we do not have a grill, but fear not, we are missionaries!  We fabricated a grill out of an oven rack, sticks of wood, the cover to a fan, and some tin foil.  It worked great.


January 1, 2015

         Today was our P-day so we has a zone activity.  It was so dumb to just mess around playing sports (probably because I hate organized sports.) Other than that it was tranquilo.  Then in the afternoon we just contacted all day.  Our miracle happened when we were in a building complex coming down the stairs and I recognized someone.

Miracle #101: We saw one of our random street contacts.  He is an 18 year old kid who wants to change his life and accepted our offer to help him.

         Tonight I decided to cook some of the cookies that mom sent me.  The only problem is that I didn’t know that our oven apparently has a direct line to the fires of hell.  Most ovens burn at 350 degrees here, but this devil oven burns at like 700.  It’s ridiculous.


January 2, 2015

         Today was a terrible day. It started in the morning when it came time to do weekly planning and I wanted to sew my ripped shirt.  Elder L. flipped out about that.  Then I decided that I was done living in a disgusting pigsty (yeah, that’s right mom – I am truly sorry for being so slovenly as a kid, cause now it is coming back to haunt me.)  All the other elders kept saying that we have to wait until p-day and I just said….screw that!  I am done treating this house that we have been given to live in like crap. I organized, swept, scrubbed, and washed literally a mountain of dishes.  It was so bad that just doing that took me over 2 ½ hours.  Throughout that entire time, the other elders didn’t lift a finger to help me.  That got me irritated for the rest of the day, which made working really hard.  The only good part of the day was when my miracle happened.

Miracle #102: I was able to still teach a lesson by myself when my comp fell asleep. 

         The funny part of the day stems off of another Elder’s funny experience.  Elder Whitmore is a blond haired blue eyed gringo and apparently that makes him pretty hot stuff down here.  A couple of days ago there were 2 girls who literally chased him down the street trying to get his name and talk to him.  Elder W. somehow avoided them but today Elder Leon and I ran into the girls.  They begged us to know Elder W. name and finally Elder Leon told them, and we invited them to come to English class taught by Elder W. They were so excited and we sorta felt bad, but it was totally worth calling Elder W. to tell him about his two new students.  He was so ticked…haha.

January 3, 2015

         A very meh day today.  We started with service doing construction for our second counselor in the bishopric and that was a little strange.  One of the highlights of the day was when I surpassed myself on the insanity fitness test!  I also did better than the fitness professional on the training video.  Month 2 is going to kill me though.  Besides the awesome workout, there were two good things today.  First was my miracle.

Miracle #103: A man called us and asked us to come over that day to teach him.  This may seem like a weak miracle, but compared to the rest of my day it was the highlight.

January 4, 2015

         We had a good day for a fast Sunday.  I woke up with a dehydration induced headache which rampaged me throughout the 3 hours of church.  I finally was able to break my fast and get a drink of water and within a few minutes I felt better. We did some good work today. 

Miracle #104: We were let into two different houses today of random contacts which is miraculous enough.  The real miracle is that both families want us to come back and teach them again.

         After those lessons, it was about 8:00 and I wasn’t feeling well. We were close to home so I asked if we could stop by and get a drink and some motrin.  Elder Ware was home resting with a sick Elder Whitmore.  So then Elder Ware and Elder Leon decided that they would go out and finish the day while I stayed home with sick Elder Whitmore.  It was a little odd, and guilt inducing but what are you going to do?  I have also decided that Chileans don’t understand the word agua (water).  Literally, every time we ask for water, they give us disgustingly sugary juice or soda (also disgustingly sugary). 

January 5, 2015

         Today was a fun division with my zone leader.  After the zone meeting (where the leaders reprimanded us for having dirty houses,) we went back to the house that I had just cleaned.  I was sooooo glad that it was clean because if it had been as dirty as it was before, we would have been in big trouble.  Yeah, my point was made. ( Not to say that I won or anything, but I won.) 

         Today we had a solid 4 lessons and 1 division.  That’s really good considering that I have not been feeling well.  Our miracle was a really weird bus stop contact:

Miracle #105: We contacted a slightly drunk man who ended up telling us that the elders came by his place once, but never came back.  He described Elder Ware so we told the man that we would send the elder back if he wanted to talk to them and he did.

         Funny experience, actually the whole day was fun for me with Elder Gomez (our zone leader.)  I had some really funny moments in great lessons

January 6, 2015

         Today was good because, it just was!  My miracle happened in the beginning of the work day. I walked out the door and was headed down the street when a sweet thing happened. I felt a strong prompting to talk to this woman on the side of the road. Being really stubborn, I ignored the prompting and kept walking. Then for the second time in my mission, I was spiritually slapped for not following a prompting.  Then, I followed it:

Miracle #106: The woman who I contacted ended up being an investigator who moved recently and never got in tough with the new missionaries.  We had a good conversation and I invited her to accept the missionaries again. 

         Funny experience of the day was when we were confronted by a WASTED man who really loved us.  He loved us so much that when we shook his hand, he kissed our hands.  By kiss, I mean he rather sloppily drooled on the back of my hand.

        

No comments:

Post a Comment