Sunday, June 7, 2015

New area - camping in the city.


Morning studies
May 27, 2015
         Today was pretty good.  We had a laid back p-day with a a nice zone activity/BBQ mixed with a movie!  We actually got to watch a real MOVIE!  Our mission president approved the move, “The Saratov Approach.”  From a spiritual standpoint, I really liked it and thought that it had a lot of valid points that are applicable to the work that I am doing right now.
Miracle #246: We found an internet café that is much closer to ur sector. We now only have to walk 5 minutes instead of 20.
         The best part of the day was finding a delicious and cheap ice cream shop.  A liter of good ice cream cost around 3$.  We ate it ALL! 
May 28, 2015
         Today was another great day except for the fact that we didn’t contact anyone.  We had a few good lessons and went to visit M. in the hospital again.  That situation is rough. We had an interesting conversation about the apostate condition that our ward used to be in.  Seriously, all I can say is that I am glad that people can change and that the ward is headed in a better direction now.  I also learned that if I don’t do any contacts during the day, I feel a little bit useless, like I am not using my time well.
Miracle #247: We, including the other elders, deep cleaned our house today.  It was a miracle because it was a team effort that almost never happens.
         The funny part of the day was a gift from the bishop.  He thinks that I will be transferred so he made something for me to remember him by.  He took a combination of pictures of Spokane, including my house, and made a collage type of thing for me.  He put it in front of a binder of music and on the back he taped a letter to me.  Basically he just told me that he loved me which was really a thoughtful thing for him to do.

May 29, 2015
         Today wasn’t bad.  We did divisions with Elder Chaves and Hanni today and I worked our sector with Chavez.  We actually had a decent day. The most interesting part of today was teaching a first aid class to the youth of the ward for mutual.  It wasn’t the most amazing activity, but it was educational and entertaining. We stopped by to visit an investigator that we haven’t seen for a while and he seems to be more interested now than he was a month ago.
Miracle #248: A less active member who we didn’t think would ever progress is reading the Book of Mormon.
         The funny part of the day was just how out of it Elder Chavez was during one of our lessons.  I would turn time over to him to talk and he literally fumbled over his words because he was so tired.  His eyes were glazed over the whole time.  It all turned out fine and I just was totally okay with it because it always happens to me in lessons.


May 30, 2015
         Well today was nice.  We started our day by going to help out our miracle man J.  Almost immediately after that, we went to an awesome Chilean BBQ and it turned out to be the longest lunch of my mission.  It was a lot of fun and we ate so much meat!  I had some really rare steak that I had to cook some more even though I love rare meat.  We had some really effective lessons to end the week and a good miracle.
Miracle #249: We got a less active member who says that he does NOT EVER want to go to church, to come to our English class.
         I got the call tonight that I am leaving this sector.  I am kindof bummed but not surprised.  I hate to leave this ward.  I have loved my time here even though my time with Elder C. was the worst time of my mission.  Probably having Elder White as a companion has been the best part of my mission so far.  With this new change, I will have served in 4 wards in less than a year.  That is not that weird for other missions, but for this mission it is very unusual.  The norm is for an elder to serve in one area for 6 months.  I guess that it is my fate to be different.
May 31, 2015
         I hate packing, with all of my heart.  I think that packing and saying goodbye are the worst parts of the mission, but mostly the packing. I am realized today that this ward is the first ward that genuinely loved me back. I tried to say goodbye to as many people as I could and it is exhausting, but we did get to teach a message to each family that we visited. 
Miracle #250: Today was the day that marked the first time on my mission to have achieved the mission standard of excellence for 29 lessons and 6 divisions in a week.  It really makes me happy because when I got here, we were only getting around 11 lessons and 4 divisions.  I guess that even though numbers don’t mean much, they can help you measure some personal productivity goals.
         More than the numbers, the thing that really matters most is the growth that I have seen in this sector.  We have so many peoples that we teach now and most of them are progressing which is another miracle. Hermano R., who we have been teaching for a long time, finally decided to come to church today.  The first day that I met him, he told me that he was an atheist and that he never wanted to go back to church.  I was so happy to see him there and on my last Sunday! 
         Our recent convert gave me a farewell gift that I absolutely love, a pajama shirt that says, “Bedtime Beckons.” 
June 1, 2015
         Today was the last day together with Elder White and it was interesting.  It started with a district meeting where we all had to write our notes to the district and it was fun. I have had a blast here, but I am ready now for the next challenge.  I finished my marathon goodbyes and it was nice to see the ward’s love. 
Elder Skabelund...6'11" volleyball player and great elder!
My hero.
Last district meeting!
Miracle #251: M comp. is going to be training for the first time in his entire mission. He is going to do a wonderful job!
         The funny part of the day was when we had a meeting for the new trainers.  The meeting was at 1:30 but no one called us to let us know the night before. We got the call at 2:15 telling us we were supposed to be in a meeting. We frantically rushed to get to this really important meeting and managed to get there in just 15 minutes.  Now my comp is super nervous because he really doesn’t want the responsibility of training, but he is determined to do his best.  I know he will do a great job.
June 2, 2015
         Changes baby!  I got sent to Elder White’s old sector today and it is awesome.  I am with Elder Ramirez who is from Peru and has been on his mission for 7 months longer than I have. We walked a ton today!  Elder White predicted that I would be sent here just this morning! 
Miracle #252 This sector has tons and tons of people in the street all the time.  This makes contacting so much easier and more fun.
         Well, I am not sure if there was a funny part of the day, but I saw something really disturbing and sad.  A little kitten got hit by a car – poor little guy. I really missed being in a sector where you could just do street contacts all day long and not get bored.  The house that we live in a basically like scout camp.  We live in cabins with 6 elders.  The cabins have outhouses and shower stalls out back.  It is way cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment