Tuesday, September 29, 2015

A Wasted Week


 September 9, 2015

         Well things are not going so well with my companionship.  Elder C. is often irritated with me.  He got to choose the p-day activity today which was going to Cerro San Cristobal with the district.  I have been there before and it is kindof a kids activity, so I wasn’t too thrilled about going, but we agreed to take turns with p-days and it was his choice.  It was a huge time waster.  I really feel like I need to use my p days to “prepare” for the coming week, but my comp looks at them as a day off. I can’t even get him to study on p-days.  Oh well. 
Miracle #366: My companion is starting to open up to me about what is bothering him so we can hopefully fix it and be more unified.
         The funny part of the day was going to a restaurant that was ridiculously expensive, but we didn’t realize it until after we had already bought a bottle of water.  We ended up leaving after paying for the drinks.  The other funny part of the day was when one of the elders came home from divisions wearing tights….seriously.  Literally, the only pants he wore while walking through the streets was a pair of thermal underwear.  Then, worse than that, after the divisions he went to the street vendors without putting any pants on either.  It is a big rule here that we have to wear proselyting clothes when we shop anywhere.  Oh well…just thought that was weird.

September 10, 2015

         Well tomorrow is some delinquent day again where we have to stay in the house because of Independence Day celebrations.  We had to return home early today as well, which was not a bad thing because Elder C. and I got in an argument.  It is good that we didn’t have to work together this afternoon.

Miracle #367: We get a little break from each other today.

         The funny part of the day was when Elder T. taught me how to play poker…that’s right, the elders here play poker.  I think that it is funny that the very first time in my life that I have ever played poker was on my mission. It just seems like we as missionaries shouldn’t be doing that.

September 11, 2015

Today really sucked. All we did all day long was play games and it was just such an enormous waste of time. I should have studied more or worked out or cleaned or done ANYTHING productive, but I didn’t.  There isn’t much to say about the day. I actually feel bad about the fact that I chose to squander my entire day with useless wastes of time.

Miracle #368: Even though we were stuck in the house, a member provided a lunch for us!

         There were various fun parts of the day.  One was when we played water/juice pong.  The other fun part of the day included learning how to play another card game, flying kites, and stuffing ourselves with ridiculous amounts of food.  My personal favorite part of the day was watching a movie called “God’s Army”.  It had some really good spiritual points, but probably shouldn’t be on the missionary watch list.

September 12, 2015

         Ugh! I woke up late so I wasn’t able to do my exercises today.  That is two days in a row.  I think that when I don’t work out, I am more tired during the day.  Anyways, today was a decent day other than that.  Nothing super exciting happened.  We did meet one of our investigator’s mother in the street and she thanked us for helping him.  Sadly, later on that day we found him in the street where he sells drugs. It really hurts to see people that you care about continue to screw up their lives.

Miracle #369: We were able to help someone out today just by jumping in and doing spontaneous service helping them move.

         The funny part of the day, nothing really.  Overall it wasn’t a depressing day, it just wasn’t fun. I spent a TON of my day just thinking about our investigators and praying to know how to help them.  I haven’t really received any answers yet.

September 13, 2015

         Today was alright.  It was Elder Tornow’s birthday so we ate a ton of crap.  That made me super hyper.  Church was decent today except for the fact that not very many of the people we teach showed up.  The other not-so-great part of church was the fact that 5 minutes before the gospel principles class we realized that the teacher wasn’t there.  I had to scramble to read the lesson so that I could teach. I still struggle, even after a whole year as a missionary to teach solely by the spirit.  In the end, it turned out well. 

Miracle #370: One of the members of the ward mad a giant dinner for Elder T. birthday, and the lesson turned out really well.

         The funny/lame part of the day was the dinner because we had an appointment right before the dinner that we had to rush because Elder T. had a member come to the house where we were teaching to pick us up.  Then we also missed out on a potential lesson after the dinner because it went long. 
September 14, 2015

         Well my comp and I are still having issues, but I am not letting it affect my desire to be here and work. The main complaint that he has about me is that I act as if everything depends on me, and my main complaint about him is that he doesn’t help me do anything. 

Miracle #371: I go to talk to Elder White today and he helped me feel a million times better.

         I am really grateful to have a great friend in the mission and it is going to be hard for me when he goes home (soon.) Talking to him was a much needed stress reliever.  It makes a huge difference in the work to have a friend as a companion.  Tomorrow is a new day. 

September 15, 2015

         Today wasn’t the best.  We still are not getting along very well.  This morning we did a painting service project which meant that we couldn’t study. We had a decently fun time.  After a semi-nasty lunch, we went out to work.  Within the first 5 minutes I had an accident with a rebar and my eye.  I was walking down a street that I have walked down a million times, and I was looking at the other side of the street, when I walked right into a rebar that must have been recently placed at eye level. It really hurt for a long time.
Ghetto toilet
Ghetto Chair

 Miracle #372: The bar didn’t do any serious damage to my eye that I know of.

         We had a super frustrating lesson this afternoon with a family where everyone was really receptive except for the mother.  We had a super good lesson and in the end, she started asking us challenging questions.  Every response that we gave she challenged to the point of mocking us.  I was pretty frustrated in the end I shared Alma 30:44 and said that she needed to search for spiritual answers rather than seeking for signs.  


No comments:

Post a Comment