Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Just another week


September 16, 2015

         Today was yet another super lame p-day.  It was my turn to choose the activity, but my companion woke up this morning pissed at me and determined to go to the zone activity.  At first I said no because I have already gone to the MIM which is a super lame childish museum.  But then I decided that it might help my comp to be in a better mood, so we went.  I knew that I was going to loose my entire p-day again, so I was not in a super good mood.  In the end it turned out all right. I didn’t especially enjoy it, and I spent way too much money, but I lived.  The frustrating part was that my comp was still pissed at me and wasn’t even slightly grateful. 
Miracle #373: I wasn’t even angry about how crappy my comp treats me. Also, we didn’t die in the big earthquake that hit Chile today.

         Right after emailing today, an earthquake hit Chile.  It was pretty strong and we were on the third floor of super ghetto area teaching a little girl who sees and talks to dead people (no joke.)  When the quake hit, everyone freaked out and ran into the streets.  I said a little prayer and instantly felt calm and knew that nothing was going to happen.  The Spirit is just the best! That was definitely the fun part of the day and way better than the earthquake simulator at the MIM.

September 17, 2015

Today was a good day, finally!  I did divisions with Elder Diaz (the gringo one) and it was a much needed break.  The work wasn’t the best because all of the citas fell through so we ended up contacting quite a bit.  The most relaxing part of the day was not fighting with my comp.  I really hope that when Elder C. and I get back together, we can work on everything and become more unified.  It really helps with one’s emotional health to get along with the person your are with. Elder Diaz and I had a really good talk tonight and together we came up with a game plan. 

Miracle #374: For the first time in my mission, a leader doesn’t blame everything on me.

         There wasn’t any particularly fun part of the day, but everyone was talking about the earthquake. I honestly didn’t think it was that bad, but everyone was still freaking out about it.  The quake felt as if the earth was shivering. The best par of the day was going to the birthday party for a lesson active member.  We stuffe dourselves silly with meat, cookies, brownies, salad, and cake.  It was a good thing we had a birthday because Elder Diaz missed out on a great ward activity in his sector by coming on the division.  He ended up with better food here!

September 18, 2015

         Today was a very lazy day.  We finished the divisions with Elver Diaz at noon, but when we got back to the house, my comp. took an hour and a half to get ready to get out the door.  So I just waited patiently.  We went out and I ended up contacting a few people.  He didn’t have much energy for contacting. After a couple of hours of work, we went to the ward activity where we were supposed to only stay for 2 hours. 
tug of war at the ward activity
 The other set of elders were there too, and Elder Ahlstrom and I were ready to go at the 2 hour mark, but neither of our companions would leave.  Neither one of us wanted to irritate our companions so:

Miracle #375: Elder A. and I did mini divisions while our companions stayed at the activity.  We worked for 4 hours.  This is a miracle because Elder A. is going home in 2 ½ weeks and he is still seriously working hard!  Sadly, his comp is dead.

         The funny part of the day was learning how to fly kites, but not just any kite, a Chilean kite!  For some reason, I picked it up really fast and on my 5th attempt I flew a kite at around 400 meters.  We kept having to tie additional 150 meter spindles on to make it longer.  Then Carlos came and cut my line…it was fun.

September 19, 2015

         Today was a better day.  We got out the door to contact fairly early, but found next to no one. Our day was quite filled with contacting which ostensibly is what my comp. wanted to do.  But, then he complained anyways.  Even though I was oddly ridiculously tired, I had a good time contacting.  I think my exhaustion is a direct result of staying up too late. Our lunch was unusually large today because it was the leftovers from the party last night. Big lunches do NOT energize you.

Miracle #376: We found the guys who we helped to move the other day and now we can teach them.

         The entertaining part of the day was trying not to get irritated with my comp.  I am growing a thicker skin so the stupid stuff doesn’t bother me too much anymore.  The other funny part of the day was trying to teach with 2 exhausted missionaries….not the best lessons I will tell you that.  Elder A. is really trying not to die before his mission is through, but his comp is already dead.  They were in the house all morning and a lot of the afternoon.  I don’t ever say anything anymore about this kind of stuff. 

         Another entertaining part of my day was doing trompo contacts.  They are fun because no one things that a gringo can throw a trompo and then they are surprised when I throw it.  I am getting really good at it!

trying on the mew chamanto, they are hand woven and worth like 3000 dollars. The family that we live with designs and makes these for a living.
 September 20, 2015

         I really don’t know how to get along better with my comp.  Nothing that I try to do for him makes him happy.  Whenever I express a desire to work, he gets pissed. Whenever I express a desire to waste time, he gets pissed.  At this point, I am a little bit scared to mention anything to him or to tell him any directions because I am pretty sure that he will get mad at me.  We ended up talking today and I told him that I felt that it is really important to have companionship unity and in order to do that we need to start with friendship.  He told me that he has no interest in being friends.  I then told him that we needed to try harder to do more than just get along.  We need to actually have good feeling between us so that we can teach effectively with the spirit. 

Miracle #377: Despite our companionship struggles, our lessons still turned out fairly well today. 

         The funny part of the day was probably in church when we were talking about pride and one of the members went off on how humble he was…haha.  Then it got even better when one of the investigators made the comment that someone stops being humble the minutes that they say that they are humble.  None of the members wanted to come out and say this for fear of offending , but it is like investigators have the gold star in Mario bros, they can say whatever they want without fear.  It is great!

September 21, 2015

         Our companionship is still struggling.  It isn’t like some of the others that I have had that were just awful, we just don’t get along very well.  Sometimes I feel kindof bad for how much I have to get after my comp.  When he whine or complains incessantly, I get after him.  When he rejects my opinion in a whiney way, I get after him. This morning we had a training about lots of stuff like setting goals and what to use when we teach.  Elder C. lets a lot of the good stuff go in one ear and out the other.  When I asked him how he thought that we could apply what we learned to our companionship, he said, “ I don’t know, I think our goals are just fine.”  Well, they aren’t fine and we aren’t doing fine.  We need to make changes and he doesn’t want to. 

Miracle #378: I got a ton out of the training that we had today despite sleepiness.

         The funny part of the day was the beginning of the training because we had 2 training things about stuff that I knew a lot about (self defense and first aid).  So I was so bored to begin with, but I decided that others needed this info and I gutted it out.  Then I was rewarded with the second part of the training that really helped me. 
September 22, 2015
Today was a way better day. The morning wasn’t the bomb, but we had an extended conversation about our relationship and in the end I ended up just telling my comp about one of my worries about him that I have noticed since we got together. It’s that I never see him having personal prayers.  He got defensive at first, but I just suggested that he read something in “True to the Faith” and then he got really quiet.  In the end, we both were left thinking about the power of prayer and we decided to put it to the test with our companionship.  We said a heartfelt comp prayer so that we could have a good day together.
Miracle #379: After prayer, we had a day with no problems.  We organized a baptism and set another baptismal date!
         Today was great in the end because my comp, who doesn’t like making the baptismal invitation, was able to see that on as early as the second visit, it can be the right thing to do.  We’ll see how it will all work out, but I told him that I wouldn’t make any more invitations if we didn’t have unity.  Today we had unity so I made the invitation and she accepted.  I pray that tomorrow will be as good of a day as today was.  This sector is so incredible and it deserves a unified hardworking companionship.

No comments:

Post a Comment