Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Another week of training


January 6, 2016

         Today was a lame p-day. We decided to go to Santa Lucia hill with some other missionaries and it was all right, but it could have been way better.  We didn’t even have time to go do the ONE thing that I actually wanted to do today, which was buy new shoes for my workouts.  Mine are getting wrecked once again. I love the beginning of the month because I have money to buy food and experiment with new dietary habits.  We had to end our p-day early to be able to get out to the edge of our sector to teach some lessons.  We went all the way out there with a member who lent me his BMX bike.  You can’t sit down on a BMX bike, so the 10 km were exhausting!
Miracle #515: Somehow we managed to get everything done 20 minutes early on p-day.
         The funny part of the day was going to meet up at the other elder’s house to go to the hill with Elder Anderson.  Supposedly, they were all going to be ready, but all of them were laying around in bed…at 10:15!  It was hard to get back to the house on time.  I rode like the wind. Even though my bike is a mountain bike and his is a road bike, I totally wrecked him. I was proud of him though because he really pushed himself.

January 7, 2016

Today was a good day but ended with a flop. In the morning we had our 2 week capacitation and it was pretty interesting. With all of the trainers together, we just talked about issues and when I mentioned what happened yesterday with the DLs sleeping in, the assistants reaction surprised me.  They told me that that kind of thin should be reported immediately to either them or the zone leaders.  I don’t think that it is that big of a deal and have never ratted someone out for that kid of stuff that goes on all the time. The rest of the day we taught lessons and contacted and my kid kicked butt. He is a boss of a missionary!  I still have to remember that he has only been on his mission for 2 weeks.

Miracle #516: I told my kid that he was going to do a contact and lead the discussion and he did a great job!

         The funny part of the day was the flop at the end in the lesson with V. and V.  We were reviewing the requirements for baptism with them and we realized that they had not understood the law of chastity lesson.  Turns out that they are not married.  It was super uncomfortable to work through that lesson again.

January 8, 2016

         So today was interesting. We started with an early-bird painting service project where a Peruvian Elder and I were the only ones working.  Interestingly, we both had been trained by the same Elder, so he must have taught us well.  After that, we got home and I made bread while my companion was in the shower.  It turned out a lot better than last time, but it still came out a little dense.  By the tie we finished our personal study, we had to go to lunch, which ended up being tiny, so I was glad that I made brad.  We returned to the house after lunch to do our weekly planning, then we had a great lesson with S.

Miracle #517: We didn’t have anything planned for today, but we managed to keep ourselves occupied.  We ended up teaching 2X more lessons than we planned.

         The funny part of the day was when the sisters told is that one of them had a bad foot so they weren’t going to be able to leave.  This meant that we needed to take their lunch to them. Remember that we ride bikes so we really do put that much strain on our feet.  Later on that day we saw them riding their bikes and working.  I think that they just didn’t want to ride the extra far distance to the lunch appointment. 

January 9, 2016

         Today was decent, but very tiring.  This morning was filled with studies and computer work at the church.  After eating lunch we did our 12 week training studies and headed out to work.  We went out to visit some investigators out in the fields, but the lady wasn’t there.  It turns out that she is kind of hard on her husband. He is a very kind and soft spoken man and we love him.  His wife returned while we where there and she just treated him like dirt.  I felt bad for him.

Miracle #518: On a whim, we went to a recent contact and we taught a really good lesson.  He was very interested and even committed to baptism if he gets an answer that the church is true.

         The funny part of the day was using the bathroom after my comp. and other elders used the bathroom.  I realized that guys are just disgusting when it comes to aiming and flushing.  Funny bathroom day.  The weird part of my day was that EVERYONE I met gave me a peach.  I love fruit and especially peaches, so this was a nice treat for me.  Today was also a great day because I managed to stay awake all day long. I impressed myself.  
January 10, 2016
         I’m tired, so so so tired. On top of that, today was a very disappointing Sunday.  Of about 15 people who said that they were  going to come to church., we had 2 show up.  I was a little bit low on energy so a few people started to chew me out.  I just completely ignored them.  Everything was running really late today (Latin timing).  The sisters had a baptism so lunch and everything got postponed about 2 hours.  My comp was in charge of the day and didn’t have much planned.  We attempted to do contacts this afternoon, but my comp was also feeling off so they weren’t the best contacts he has done. 

Miracle #519:  In the beginning of our lesson with V. he said he wasn’t interested in getting married, but by the end he said that he would think more deeply about it.

         The funny part of the day was probably trying to teach about the law of Chastity in a way that was more direct and clear and yet still reverent. 

January 11, 2016

         Today was a pretty decent day. We had a good morning of studies until lunch, where we had to wait outside for 15 minutes for a man to arrive.  When the man got there, we ate a shepherds pie type thing that was made with soy meat.  It was surprisingly good.  The rest of the day went pretty well.  We ended up being busy all day long.  Our lessons were all really good except for one.  He last lesson took the cake.  We taught the lesson about the atonement with the pushup object lesson.  After doing 250 push-ups my companion read D&C 19 and I bore my testimony.  The spirit was strong.

Miracle #520: One of our investigators accepted a date for baptism.

         The funny part of the day was when the family who we taught the atonement lesson to, practically forced me to eat fried empanadas.  The other funny part of the day was telling lame jokes during a very awkward meal. 

January 12, 2016

         Everything kindof fell through today.  Our first lesson was the only one that worked out.  It was very uneventful day and I got pretty frustrated with the situation.  I tried to really help my companion take initiative in contacting, but at times it was really hard.  This week he is supposed to lead the contacting efforts, but his is still not quite ready.  I have to remember that he is so new to the mission without having had the MTC experience.  We sure did contact in a lot of different ways.

Miracle #521: I was kind of sick of contacting, but decided to be a good example and keep going.  I started a contact just by asking about some art hanging in a window. Not only was the man receptive, but he also gave me the picture. 

         The funny part of the day was probably contacting every possible way I could think of.  There were times where I kind of threw my companion under the bus.  For example, we started to help a guy dig out trenches around some trees and I just waited for my comp to contact him.  When he didn’t, I said in English, “contact him” and then only helped him a little bit.  He struggled quite a bit, but it turned out all right in the end.  I am not sure why I let myself get bothered by some of the stupidities that happen, but I do.  I am getting better at just moving on.
New shoes

No comments:

Post a Comment