Monday, January 11, 2016

Hit by a bus and called the devil, but othrwise a good week!



December 30, 2016

         Today wasn’t as great as yesterday, but it was still an above average missionary day.  This morning we had our first planning session and companionship study.  I realized that Elder H. is way more prepared for the mission than I was when I left.  I feel like the MTC really wouldn’t teach him much that he doesn’t already know.  I am not the best choice of a trainer for a missionary who is as well prepared as he is.  But, I will try my hardest and do my best.  The first thing that we did today was contact for 2 hours straight.  We found 3 possible investigators and got to know each other a lot better.  The only lame thing about having bike as a trainer is that it is impossible to chat in route.

Miracle #508: On our division at the end of the day, plans A,B,C, and D all fell through.  My last ditch effort ended up working out and we had a good lesson.

December 31, 2016

         Well 2015, an entire year in the mission field, has come and gone.  By this time next year I will be with my family and friends.  It has been a very unique year.  I have been blessed with many things including one of the greatest blessings of my life, that of a strengthened personal testimony. I just want to dedicate what I have left in my mission and go all out. 

Today was a decent day.  This morning we had a service project, so we had to do our studies after lunch. It was incredibly hard to study on a full stomach.  We both hit a wall and on more than one occasion, we had to spray each other with water to stay awake.

Miracle #509: One of our most difficult investigators actually listened to our lesson today about the life of Christ and for the first time in a long time, I felt the spirit while teaching him.

         The funniest part of the day was eating dinner with some members for New Years.  We just had a blast. For example, at one point we started talking about Americans and they said, “Well we are Americans too!”  I told them that in the states, many people think that everyone who lives south of the border speaks Spanish and is Mexican. They thought that was pretty funny. These last three days with my new companion have been both fun, and spiritual.  I have felt the guidance of the spirit more than in most of my mission.  One of the coolest quotes that left my mouth today was, “We need to sin, or make mistakes, in order to learn, but we need to repent in order to progress.”

January 1, 2016

         Today was not a good day for me.  I slept in (until the usual time to wake up) which was a mistake for me.  After studies we went to play soccer with the zone.  I hate soccer, but my comp is a fanatic so we went.  On the way, my comp rode straight through a pothole despite many warnings to avoid them, and busted a tire. During the activity I got way too much sun because I forgot to wear sunscreen.  When we got back to the house, I had to replace the tire because it already had 5 patches on it. I got really irritated when I found out that the bike shop gave my old companion a tire tube that was too small.  I ended up putting it on anyways and I really hope that it doesn’t explode.  It was not a fun p-day at all. 

         To top it off, the work was slow.  In the one lesson we had, I decided to go and  visit a member who is struggling to stay active.  He is very bitter and wouldn’t listen. He kept making excuses for his choices and it sucked the life and the spirit right out of me.

Miracle #510: Even though we weren’t in a lesson, we decided to work until the last possible minute.  We offered a special prayer and were led to someone who normally doesn’t get home until 10 p.m..  That is too late for us to visit, so the fact that they were home early was really a miracle.

         The funny part of the day was getting hit in the head by a soccer ball.  I was playing goalie and when an elder went to kick the ball in, it bounced off my head and still went in.  I am the worst soccer player ever. 

January 2, 2016

         Today was a far better day than yesterday.  This morning we were able to do all of our studies and had extended language study.  Wen lunchtime rolled around, we found out that we didn’t have a lunch appointment.  So, we bought some ingredients and had a bonding time cooking a sauce for our spaghetti.  It actually turned out super tasty and it made a ton so we started out our fast very full and happy. 

Miracle #511: As soon as we started the fast, clouds came out and cooled the afternoon down.  My sunburned face really appreciated that. The other miracle of the day was also pretty funny to me so I will explain it below.

         The funny part of the day was after our missionary correlation meeting.  I was doing my job as a trainer and teaching Elder H. how to use El Rescate, which is a computer program that theoretically helps to find less active members.  I hate the program, but it is my responsibility to train him with it.  So as we printed our list of 100 names (narrowed down from 800), I was whining about the program.  Then later that day there came a point in the day when we really didn’t have anything to do, so my kid wanted to use the list.  Taking it more like a joke, I accepted the challenge and we went to visit ONE of the people on the list who happened to live in the neighborhood we were in.  Believe it or not, they were home! Not only that, but they were receptive and we taught them a lesson and they want us to come back.  My kid is a BOSS!

January 3, 2016

         Well I got run over by a bus today.  Technically, my bike got run over, and miraculously I was uninjured.  I was riding along next to the sidewalk and a bus was getting ready to turn right, but was stopped.  I started to ride past the bus at the same time the bus pulled away.  The driver didn’t bother to look in his mirrors and just started to cut me off.  It freaked me out and I desperately tried to get up onto the sidewalk.  Unfortunately, I was too close to the curb and instead of making it onto the sidewalk, I just skidded along the curb until I fell and the bike slide under the bus.  The driver didn’t even slow down or stop.  Luckily it only ran over the tire and even though it screwed up the rim, I was able to fix it and make it ride-able.

Miracle #512: I could have easily been badly hurt or even killed by the bus today, but I was unharmed. 

         The funny part of the day was when a family “made” me break my New Year’s healthy food resolution. I was doing so well until they opened some packages of my favorite Chilean dessert cookies.  Everyone was laughing at my lack of self-control after having eaten just one cookie.  I just can’t stop myself.

January 4, 2015

         Today was a fairly typical work day.  All of our plans fell through and we ended up contacting for around 4 hours straight. The contacts weren’t that bad, but they weren’t the best either.  Elder H. is still trying to get past the whole talking to strangers block so the contacts are sometimes a little bit uncomfortable, but they are fun anyways.  Overall, it was fairly uneventful day.  I didn’t even get run over.

Miracle #513: I was able to fix my tire even more today. Not it is acceptable to ride on.  The thing is that the store we went to didn’t have the type of rim that I needed to replace it.

         The funny part of the day was pretty lame.  Usually I ask people if I can give them something and then when they say yes, I hand them a pamphlet.  But, today instead of giving a woman something that taught about God, I gave her little grandson a can of peaches that I randomly had in my bag.  You would have thought that I had given the kid a hundred bucks.  She immediately opened up to us after that and we had a pretty good contact lesson.

January 5, 2015

         Well today was a great day!  I went on a division with Elder Anderson because elder Diaz is my DL again.  We had a rally good day, but there were some bad parts.  For example, we went to visit our very difficult investigator who started complaining about me to poor Elder Anderson who is so new in the mission field that he can’t really understand anything that is said if the spirit is not present. So here is this crazy mean man ranting to this American kid about this other American kid.  In the end he called me the devil and returned the Book of Mormon that we gave him.  I was upset, but really not sad about losing him.  He was really difficult to teach and we weren’t getting anywhere.

Miracle #514: One of our other investigators did a full fast and is super set on moving forward.

         The funny part of the day was probably when we had a super talkative member of our ward accompany us to a lesson. He has a specific story that he loves to tell and I have heard it man times.  When he started to tell the story, I leaned over to Elder Anderson and said, “we are late and this story will take 20 minutes.  We have to excuse ourselves.”  I managed to tactfully make it out of there and to one last division and lesson. We ended up the day with a whopping 7 lessons and 3 divisions.    




No comments:

Post a Comment