Sunday, June 26, 2016

Rainy and Cold Again


Flooding in our apartment.
June 1, 2016
    Today was a fairly decent p-day.  Our zone played soccer again, but I helped with a tiny barbecue that we decided to do and played around doing some calisthenics.  The activity lasted a long time, so we didn’t have time to do much else.  I bought everything that I really need for the month except my weekly fruit.  It was pretty weird getting an email today from Mom about the details of my school registration and the classes that I am going to be taking.  It is freaking me out a bit how fast this is sneaking up on me. 
Miracle #662: This last week my Dad took a hard fall over the handlebars of his bike, which to me is miraculous because had that happened to him right before I left on my mission, he might have been seriously hurt.  His recovery in just 2 years has been remarkable/miraculous to me.
    The funny part of the day was probably when one of the kids from a family we teach came running downstairs with a bottle of shoe-shine and started polishing our shoes for us.  At that moment, I realized how long it had been since I polished my shoes.  They definitely needed a good shine and it was just kind of nice to have this little service given to us.
June 2, 2016
    Today was rather a dull day.  This morning I did minimal exercise and had a fairly normal personal study.  Our comp study wasn’t the greatest.  After weekly planning, we went to lunch where we stayed for way too long. I guess it wasn’t that big of a deal because it was raining heavily and very cold, and we didn’t have any appointments. No one will open their doors for us when the weather is like this.  After lunch, we had a lesson with a super ADD little kid and his family.  My comp wanted to lead the lesson, but he wasn’t dominant enough to control the situation and in the end it turned out poorly.
Miracle #663: This evening the whole house got together and helped to clean up.
    The funny part of the day was when I heard one of my ex-missionary leaders cursing about one of the sister missionaries.  It was really so shocking that it was funny to me.  I can’t really thing of any other funny things that happened today.  Well, I guess that it was kind of fun to have a push up competition with a kid who is entering the Chilean air force.  He managed to do about 15 pushups in a minute and his dad did around 14, and then his MOM did the same number as his dad.  I am super proud of my Dad because he always could trash me in pushup competitions when I was a kid.  What a boss. 
June 3, 2016
    Today it RAINED. ALL. DAY. LONG!  This morning we left to do early morning contacts.  That was a cold and fruitless effort, but afterwards we had some good studies where I had time to reflect on a great conversation that Elder Diaz and I had last night.  I realized that I am winding myself up into a giant ball of stress and it is not healthy.  I need to calm down or I will be miserable in this companionship for the rest of my mission.  I don't know if relaxing is the answer, but for a little while this morning that is what we did and it helped me a ton as far as our companionship goes.
Miracle #664: We were in lessons all afternoon long which kept us out of the rain for the most part.
    We had a very interesting afternoon today. The first lesson of the day was with an old investigator who is super interested in going to church.  The second lesson was the second lesson for the referral that we checked out on Monday.  She has so many doubts about the need for a living prophet and it is probably the first time that I have taught someone with a very specific doubt.  The last lesson was actually a visit with a less active member who happened to have a friend visiting at the same time.  It so happened that her friend was someone who we had street contacted before.  She helped us out in the lesson quite a bit.
June 4, 2016
    Today was all right.  It started with a 9:00 AM ward missionary meeting that actually began at 9:45.  It was so very long, but also decent.  After the meeting, we did our studies and everything that has to do with a typical morning.  Before starting the legit workday,. we went to a lunch and it would see as though the family forgot that it was FAST Sunday tomorrow and gave us a very small lunch.  So, we had to get something to eat after our lunch appointment.  Today we contacted quite a bit.
Miracle #665: We found 3 people in the most unreceptive part of our sector.
    Contacting with my companion was almost humorously impossible today.  He just loves to interrupt me with unrelated comments.  The really funny part of the day was helping a few people get a cat out of their engine.  That was a stubborn little cat.  Apparently this cat has been bothering them for months now.  The other funny part was falling asleep in one of our lessons for a minute or two.  I haven’t done that for a long time.  It felt like a 2 hour long nap, it was so refreshing.
June 5, 2016
    Today was the coldest Sunday yet this year and in Chile, or at least in Santiago Sur, when it is cold, no one goes to church or even bothers to wake up for that matter.  The lady that we were supposed to eat lunch with makes really horrible and unhygienic food (like full of animal hair), so we made an excuse that we had lunch planned somewhere else.  We really just went home and cooked our own lunch.  We studied for a little bit in the afternoon and then we went to an open house in a chapel near here.
Miracle #666: During our entire open house, 45 or so referrals were taken out.  For our part, we got 3 in a little over an hour that we were there.
    The fun part of the day was going to visit Hermano N. this afternoon.  He made us an amazing pizza with his years of chef know-how and we had a very good conversation and lesson about repentance.  He is a very good person, but he has made a ton of mistakes that he wants to fix.  Other than that, there really wasn’t a fun part of the day.  I had to do the calls with our DL and it was hard to not get frustrated with him.  I was just being straight up with him and he went all mother hen/nazi ruler on me.  Yeah, I have been out too long to get flustered by that nonsense.
June 6, 2016
    Today was fairly decent.  This morning we took my companion to the hospital to get some blood and urine tests done because of his inability to hold his urine.  I was a little bit worried about it so I called the mission nurse and she sent us to get tests.  We were at the hospital way too long.  On the way there and back we tried to take advantage of the opportunity to do morning contacts.  Back at the house, we had just enough time to study, workout, and go to lunch.
Miracle #667:  The very last 10 minutes of contacting led us to find a super open person who invited us to come to his house to teach him.  The lame part is that he actually lives in another mission.
    The funny part of the day was when we passed by Hermano N. to pick up another pizza that he made for us for family home evening.  We mentioned that my comp had to go to the hospital this morning so Hermano N. thought that the had a sick stomach.  Right at that moment my comp. started taking a bite of his chocolate candy bar and Hermano N snatched it out of his hands and hurled it out the door into the street. The only way to describe my comps face was, sad puppy. We were all laughing so dang hard.
June 7, 2016
    All things considered, today was pretty good despite the zone training meeting that felt like a ton of reprimands for me.  They talked a lot about making the transition to the flow of the new president and having a positive attitude towards all the changes that lie ahead.  I made the comment that if we aren’t obedient to our current president, how do we expect to be obedient to our new president?  The capacitation focused on doing whatever the new president asks, but the majority of the missionaries don’t even do everything that President Cook asks. Despite that NOT fun zone meeting, we went on to have a lot of pretty decent lessons today.
Miracle #668:  Our lessons today turned out quite well. Two people accepted the baptismal invitation and one of the set a date and everything.
    The funny part of the day was when President Cook gave me a call this afternoon.  I answered pretty tentatively and when he asked me what was wrong I said that I was scared.  He said, “Elder Colvin, why would you be scared of me, you know me.?”   I replied, “ Yeah, but you are in your death throws and I don’t know what you are capable of.”  After a good laugh he explained that he just needed me to do a favor for him and give someone a call. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment