Saturday, June 25, 2016

Staying in the game

May 11, 2016
    This p-day was kind dull, but we/I got to know the whole zone a bit.  The zone played soccer and ate some super greasy sausage things.  I was able to do an insanity routine and talked to other elders who didn’t want to play soccer.  I bought  all of my  food for the month and some fruit for the week.  Something interesting happened while we were in the super market.  This group of super ghetto kids started to go through the line and jokingly tried to just walk through by making an excuse to walk out without paying.  The guards (yes they have security guards here in supermarkets) started to stop the kids and in order to slow them down a little, I just stepped in front of them and held them back.  When the guards patted them down, about 30 bottles of shampoo fell out of their pockets and clothing. The funny part is that the kids just walked away from it all as if nothing happened.
Miracle #641:  We went back to a family that I found when I was here the first time and they are now showing a lot  more interest.
    The funny part of the day was seeing how horrible the elders have been at keeping the area book updated in the past year and a half.  To be honest, the area book is awful and I am not looking forward to fixing it.
May 12, 2016
    Well today was pretty fun for me.  This morning I had to go with Elder Diaz to downtown Santiago to go and do Visa stuff because he needed his second Visa.  Traveling on public transportation stressed me out so much that I get exhausted.  By the time we got home, we were starving for lunch which meant that I ate too much too fast and then got a huge stomach ache.  I suffered for about an hour before going out to work.  The work day was pretty dang good.  We started and ended with a formal lesson and in between we worked hard on contacting.
Miracle #642:  I was able to help my companion see the importance of contacting in the street where we found two good people to teach.
    The funny part of the day was just talking to the last lesson’s family.  We visited for about an hour, which was much longer that we should, but was really good.  They remembered a lot about me and they were super kind to me.  They even gave me a kilo of tuna fish. 
May 13, 2016
    Today was a good day I guess.  There really isn’t much to tell about the day.  My companion really struggle with contacting.  He stresses so much about having to actually do a contact that he completely forgets that he is talking to a person.  I feel like most of my companions have huge struggles with this concept of contacting.  There must be some reason that I keep getting companions like this, but I haven’t figured out the reason yet.
Miracle #643:  We were able to do the little service today and set up another service for tomorrow.  I have done very few service projects lately and I miss it.
    The funny part of the day was visiting a family in our ward who has had family members in over half of my wards.  The parents of one of the ward members are from Capitan Avalos and it was pretty funny talking to them.  Everyone here makes a big deal about how skinny and fit I am (compared to when I started my mission.) They asked me how I did it, and when I told them diet and exercise, they were pretty impressed. Chileans aren’t particularly into fitness or healthy diets.
May 14, 2016
    Well today was pretty good.  At around 9 AM we had our meeting with the ward mission later after which we went to do contacts in the street market with posters about the family.  It turned out unusually well.  Between 12 missionaries, we took out 23 referrals in just one hour.  After the contacts, we studied a little bit, went to lunch, went to a service project (which sadly was completed by the time we got there,) and then we went to the house to finish our weekly planning.  I spent some dreaded 2 hours working on the area book this afternoon and now it is acceptable.  
Miracle #644: In 2 hours we had 3 contact lessons and we were excited abut that.  My companion is starting to see how great contacting can be.
    The funny part of the day was watching how little bladder control my comp has.  I am a little worried about him actually cause it doesn’t seem normal to have to go to the bathroom 3 times in a hour.  The fun part of the day was breaking open my very first coconut and drinking the water/milk out of it. 

 May 15, 2016
    Today was the best ward council that I have ever had in my entire mission.  I can’t believe how much this ward has progressed since my training.  It is sad to me that I know the ward better than my companion.  He made the typical excuse that he is in his training still, but everything that I know about this ward comes from the time that I was in my training here a year and a half ago.  It is super frustrating to be in the last 12 weeks of my mission and to not be able to work as hard as I can.
Miracle #645:  This week we doubled almost all of the key indicators from the last week. 
    The funny part of the day was right after we had a contact lesson and my comp lost all motivation whatsoever.  Today I made the decision that we would take turns calling the shots every other day.  Whoever had the phone in the end decided where we would go.  We had plans to contact, but my comp was in charge of making decisions so he chose to just walk around instead.  I just went along with it because it was his day to lead.  I am just going to be chill on his days, but on my days I plan to lead efficiently so my comp can see how to do it.  My comp is a good kid who wants to work and gets out of the house on time, but he hasn’t figured out how to work efficiently.
May 16, 2016
    Today was okay.  I was leading but the lessons were very hard to control and ran way too long.  They were good lessons at least.  We started the day with contacts and we were even able to teach a contact lesson.  After that we went to a less active member’s house and had a good lesson with him.  Then we had a great lesson with some young women who were recently baptized and who had some doubts that we were able to address.
Miracle #646:  I found something to talk to my companion about that he will respond to…Anime.  It may not be the best topic of conversation, but it gets him to open up and start talking.
    The funny part of the day was probably when my comp tried to do insanity with me.  He struggled, but he tried.  The other fun part of the day was doing a service project cutting grass.  Here they do not use lawn mowers but instead use pruning sheers. It’s entertaining to say the least. 
May 17, 2016
    Today was rough.  My comp was leading and all we did was walk as much as possible.  We did very little contacting, but despite that we had some very good contacts and even did a division.  In order to explain the miracle of the day, I have to explain the back story.  I am not thrilled about spending my last 12 weeks not working hard or smart.  Today I hit a breaking point so I sat down on a part bench with my companion and talked to him about my concerns.  I shocked myself about how much love I showed to my companion as I talked to him gently.  He still broke into tears and was pretty distraught.  I told him that we had two options, pray and go to work, or go to the house and keep talking it out.
Miracle #647:  My comp, like a real trooper, decided to pray and go to work.  As an answer to his prayer, HE contacted a super receptive less active member on the street.  It was the first time I have seen him do a real contact and it WORKED!
    There wasn’t really any particularly funny parts of the day, but I am hoping that today can be a turning point for my comp.  He is a good kid.  He is just super nervous and tense when he is contacting.  Oh, I forgot, there was a funny part of the day.  Today I got my final package from home.  It had everything in it that I wanted and a little surprise.  It would seem that my package “broke” open while in route. The mail officials thought that someone else’s package was part of my package and shoved it inside.  It was a tempered glass screen protector for an iPad. I think that it was a subliminal message about what I need to buy when I get home.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment